Monday, March 18, 2013

3/15/13-3/17/13: Lexington, KY

After our 'exciting' trip from upstate NY with the unplanned stop in OH for a few hours, I was pretty worn out and didn't know what to expect from Lexington, KY.  I've not been here before, though I have been to portions of KY - more rural sections though.


After spending a few days here, I kinda wish we had more time - since we didn't have a lot of free time while we were here.  But the time I did have, I used to the best of my ability!  I started out my Friday by taking a tour of the local Bourbon distillery.  I'd been to a beer distillery at Busch Gardens in Tampa many years ago (when Busch Gardens was still owned by Anheuser Busch) - but had never seen how they make any of the harder spirits - so that was kinda cool  There was a tasting at the end of the tour - and even though I despise the taste of Bourbon, I went ahead and tasted (couldn't be rude) - and no vomiting - so I guess that means it was pretty top shelf (lol). 

Our time in Lexington coincided with the Lexington Comic and Toy Convention - which was being held at the Convention Center that was attached to our hotel.  I had a few hours on Saturday before our double shows that day so I decided to drop in.  I'd never really been to a Con like that before - I have a good friend that goes to them a lot and keeps talking about me going with her to Dragon Con in Atlanta someday - I'm just not ever free when its happening..,.so I was excited to see what they are all about.  I didn't have time to go to any of the talk backs or lectures or anything like that sadly - which pretty much just left the vendors section and people watching.  It was pretty cool actually - I saw a lot of really elaborate costumes and the vendors had some very rare (mostly Star Wars) things mixed in with the mundane.  That night the local movie theatre was hosting a Larger Than Life presentation of the Rocky Horror Picture Show - which I always like to see.  A couple cast mates had never seen it before so I took it upon myself to de-virginize them (so to speak).  It was a lot of fun :)

Show-wise, Lexington was a great place to play.  The venue was pretty intimate so the crowds really got a good experience - and we had a great time playing for them.  The highlight came opening night - Felix Scilla, the original Cousin Itt from the 1960s TV version of The Addams Family, and Carel Struygen, Lurch from the 1990s movies, were in town for the Con - and came to see the show.  Afterwards, the cast and Felix and Carel held a talk back with the audience and took some pictures of the 3 generations of the Addams together.  Very cool!!!  The other big moment for us was the return of Keleen in the role of Morticia.  She finally got the go ahead to dance in the show again - so our full company is back at last! Its nice to have the whole family together again - and just in time for one of my favorite cities ever...tomorrow we head off to Philadelphia, PA.

0 comments: