Friday, June 21, 2013

6/19/13-6/20/13: Orange, TX

Back in Texas - though its kinda hard to tell this time.  Orange, TX (at least from where we are staying - and there doesn't seem to be much else) resembles a large truck stop.  Literally.  There are 4 hotels within 2 blocks - as well as a Sonic, Whataburger, Dennys, Pilot, Churches and another gas station.  And that's it.

By the way - don't stay at the Sleep Inn in Orange - lots and I mean LOTS of bug and a moldy smell throughout the place.  Also try to avoid the Dennys which also seems to have more roaches than employees.

With 2 days in Orange, and obviously nothing to do, I thought that this would be (finally) the perfect place for me to go to the doctors and see if I can't get my ears sorted out.  I found a great little family clinic about 4 miles from the the hotel and made an appointment for Thursday morning - bright and early.  As it turns out, Blair and Dan - who've both been sick with other ailments for as long if not longer than I have came along too.  Once I was inside, it was a quick lookover and prescription for some meds to help bring the swelling down in my ears and drain whatever is clogging them up.  The visit only cost $100 - which was one of my draws to them since I don't have insurance.  See folks, when you are a 'glamorous' actor, you can't afford luxuries like health insurance or permanent places to live..so I have to pick and choose my doctor's visits very carefully - which is not the easiest or best way to have to do things on the road.  But this one was a win - 7 or less days and I should be ship shape again (which will be right in time for Asia...)

Now the theatre itself in Orange is very nice - and the staff and locals there are very sweet.  They catered us both shows with some great home cooking - for which we were all very appreciative since its been AGES since our food wasn't delivered by Dominoes or a waitress...I also found out that How The Grinch Stole Christmas will be there this October to do their Tech process.  They should have a great time at the theatre - but man, I wouldn't want to be in Orange for a week or TWO.  We were incredibly lucky to be in New Haven for ours - so much to see/do.  Whoville - Don't let the sign fool you!!


0 comments: