Tuesday, June 4, 2013

6/3/13-6/4/13: Jackson, MS

I don't know what I was expecting to find in Jackson, MS - But  I'm sure it wasn't was actually there.

The town - at least the downtown area that we were in was...different.  Not much of anything around - and what was around was so dated I felt that I was going back in time.  And not in a good way.  I looked up good places to eat on Urbanspoon (a godsend on tour or just traveling in general) - and found a couple places within walking distance so Aaron, a fellow castmate, and I started walking.  We found ourselves on 6-7 blocks where every single building was not only abandoned but burnt out, collapsing in on itself, full of trash - basically gutted.  EVERY SINGLE BUILDING - ON BOTH SIDES OF THE STREET - FOR 7 BLOCKS... Needless to say - we didn't eat there....  We did pass a woman on our way out of the area who told us that this section of town had been like that for a good 7 years or so and couldn't remember what had happened to it.

When we did find a place to go - it was dusty, slow, and served me canned peaches topped with MIRACLE WHIP and a cherry....I almost vomited...And this place got 5 stars and was supposed to be one of the crowning jewels of Jackson...oy

I did end up meeting a friend of our guitar player - a young woman who is looking to be an actress and contemplating moving to NYC.  We had  a great chat about how it actually works in the business and what New York is like for an actor - and ended up at a really good Soul Food place (outside of Jackson).  So that was fun - I love talking business with people just starting out and she was very sweet.

Anyway - After our final show we head out to New Orleans for a golden day - we're driving there right after the show so we can have a full day there tomorrow.  And then its off to Worcester (Boston area) for the weekend!

0 comments: