Tuesday, April 2, 2013

3/31/13-4/1/13: Portsmouth, OH

OK - so we are on our one-nighter stint but it took 2 days to get from SD to OH.  We spent a night in Peoria, IL on the way and stopped in Cedar Rapids, IA for lunch one day - which were both big memory cities for me.  My first big tour was Curious George Live! - which teched for a week and half in Cedar Rapids (which is a city that smells entirely like strawberry breakfast cereal because there is a Quaker Oats factory in the downtown area).  During CGL, we played Peoria - which is a city that houses a true to life scale model of the solar system that branches out through several cities and counties - that we followed the last time I was there.  So that was cool.

Portsmouth starts our week of One-Nighters - and is a fairly small town.  We performed at the Visual Arts building of the Shawnee University - and the highlight for me was after the show.  They had us leave the venue through the lobby where a bunch of families were waiting to meet us.  Many of them were children that work with local community theatre - which performs on the stage where we played.  You could tell how excited the kids were to meet us - which really made my day.  I grew up in community theatre and think it is a great way to develop young talent and wet their appetite for live theatre and performing.  One of the families had promotional Fester fans from the original Broadway show - which they had me sign - and then...GAVE ME ONE OF THEM.  (Thank you to the Mom who offered me the fan btw - its one of the most amazing tokens I'll take home from this tour!!!).  I was so excited to receive it.  Its events like this that really make all the hard work pay off and make me not mind the crazy travel we've had lately.  Bravo Portsmouth!

0 comments: