Sunday, April 21, 2013

4/7/13-4/21/13: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Well, our two week (and longest US) sit-down has come to an end.  Its very odd, but it almost doesn't feel like we've been on tour at all these past two weeks.  In fact I opened my 2nd suitcase for the first time since we got here today.

Its been very nice.  Sure if it were up to me - I wouldn't have chosen to stay at a fancy hotel on the beach (I find the 'nicer' the hotel is, the less you actually get for your money...and this Westin was no exception. Thank the heavens that the company worked out some deals with them since they were more than willing to charge $32 per day to let us have Internet access in our room, Charged $75 for a (very) mini fridge, Had mandatory valet parking at $28 a day, Set out 2 bottles of water in the room, one with a little sign on it that said complimentary and the one behind it with an identical sign but in tiny tiny print said it was $2 - to trick you into drinking both, overpriced restaurants, that sort of thing) - but a majority of the cast and crew took advantage of the 'vacation' style living.  I'm one of those 'wierd' people that hate the beach and huge crowds of drunk tourists - so I stayed indoors most of the time like a true vampire.  Though I did venture out now and then - to enjoy the view or see a movie...

We had some really great audiences here too - which was nice. AND our producers came out (they seem to do that when we're near the beach lol) to see how the show was doing.  I'm happy to say they were pleased with our work and threw us a very nice party out at one of the restaurants on the beach.  My friend, Sandy, who I have known since high school, now lives down this way and got to come see the show - which was very cool since I haven't seen her in such a long time.

My best friend, Tammy, made it down on one of my days off (we had days off!!) and we got to hang out and play a Fiasco and some Bunnies.  It was great to see her and just relax.  Missed seeing her daughter (my Goddaughter), Miss Scarlett, but I'll be back in FL for about a month in September, so I'll get some Godfather time in then.  The Fiasco that we did was a different flavour than the ones I've done before.  I found a Slasher Film inspired one and we (Tammy, Dan/Lurch and I) wove a tail of 2 identical twins who come to work at a summer camp and start finding bodies everywhere.  It actually got pretty creepy, which I love.

Hangout wise, I stayed mostly around the hotel - eating at a tourist trap called LuLu's Bait Shack - which actually had some really good Ahi Tuna Tacos and a place called Casablanca Cafe - which served up a great Lamb Sandwich.  A bunch of us went out to a local gay bar called Bill's Filling Station for Drag Night and Drag Race night (go Jinx Monsoon!) to see what the local scene looked like.  I love watching really good drag queens perform - and we came across some pretty good ones...and a few busted ones - but a good time out was had by all.

This sit down kind of made me think about the opportunity that I'm wasting by not taking advantage of my time between the actual performances on tour.  It lit a fire under me to get organized again and make sure that I'm accomplishing some 'real life' things while I'm out here. AND I decided to bring some others along with me - so I reached back into my Keller Williams roots (the real estate company I used to work/train for) and taught a class between shows on goal setting and time management.  Now there are several of us who have set some end of tour goals for our jobs, finances and personal aspirations and have made a manageable plan to achieve them - and keep each other accountable.  I'm such a structure geek.... But I'm excited to be 'back on track' with my time again.  Good things are bound to come from this!

Now I'm all packed up again and ready to head out to Sarasota in the morning - where....My parents, sister, cousin, Tammy, my friend Maria and several other Tampons will be coming out to see the show.  So excited!!

0 comments: