Saturday, April 27, 2013

4/25/13-4/27/13: Flint, MI

This is my third time here in Flint - believe it or not.  We played here with Curious George Live! and Thomas and Friends Live! - though both of those were done at the local hockey arena.  Which was a less than desirable venue to say the least.  This time, though, we are playing an actual theatre - AND we get to be here for more than a night!

But backing up - On our way up to Flint, we made a few stops to break up the monotony.  First off, Thursday was spent purely driving.  We stopped off for lunch in Nashville, TN - which was a fun surprise.  I've played Nashville before too - and when we were there we had most of our meals at Jacks' Bar-b-que.  It is literally the BEST bar-b-que I have ever had.  The beef brisket melts like butter - and the ribs are so delish its almost a crime.  So naturally I rounded up a bunch of the cast and we headed over there - and it was every bit as good as I remembered...perhaps even better.  Once we got to driving again - we stopped for the night in Louisville, KY.  We will be back to play there next season some time but for now it was just for the night.  I had a huge headache when we got there - which was a shame, because it turned out that a friend of mine from back in Tampa was in town working on 9 to 5 at a local dinner theater.  If I'd been feeling better I'd have gone to see it - but as it stood, I took a bunch of Excedrin and hunkered down for the night.

Every time I've been to Flint, I seem to stay at the same hotel - the Holiday Inn Express.  In their back yard is a little Chinese buffet place - that has the best Coconut Shrimp that I've ever had - You guys should sell that straight up - I'd buy it.  Check it out if you're in town lol.

On Saturday, a few of us decided to head up to Bronner's Christmas Wonderland - which is billed as the Largest Christmas store in the world (I know because Siri on my new iPhone told me so).  The entire grounds is decorated for Christmas - with lights and statues all over. Once you are inside - Its magical.  Christmas music pumps through all the speakers.  Every kind of ornament you can think of (and several 100 that you can't) is here, along with Nutcrackers, Books, and Snow Villages.  They even had a Halloween Village set out on display - probably because they heard we'd be there lol.  After a few hours we headed back to the theatre to do our 2 show day. 


The audiences here were good but hard to read - at least from the stage.  The theatre was very very deep - so the people were kind of far from where we were - which made it a challenge to tell if they were laughing or just chuckling.  But they seemed to enjoy the show by the way they reacted during the bows - so I'm gonna take that to mean they had a good time.

0 comments: