Sunday, May 19, 2013

5/13/13-5/19/13: Omaha, NE

I know - at first glance Omaha doesn't sound like it would rank up in fun places to be -- but you'd be wrong.  We had a great week in Omaha - our last week sit down for quite a while actually, so thats a good thing.

I've actually been to Omaha before - well, sort of.  When I was in Curious George Live we played the arena IA just over the way. I actually saw How The Grinch Stole Christmas for the first time at the theatre we are playing now - and thought...hmmm, someday I could play Grandpa Who (lol).  And of course, we stopped over here for a night on our way to Sioux Falls a month or so ago.


The theatre itself is very nice - part of the old Orpheum circuit theaters, which makes it even cooler.  We had an...interesting week show-wise.  Oh, all of the performances went ok - but we had 6 people out/away from the show throughout the week.  Deb, our company manager has been in Asia scouting out all the venues we will be at there...Two people had weddings, One a funeral ( :( ) and two went out for medical issues.  We had our first understudy conductor go on for 3 days - and he did very well.  We also had one of our superstudies go in for Wednesday on the day of shows.

I think the hotel we are staying at has mold issues.  There were 6 or 7 of us who developed throat/lung issues this week - me included.  But the funny thing was that the symptoms only really showed up - or worsened while I was at the hotel.  Two days ago, I woke up with almost no voice - left the hotel for a few hours and felt/sounded much better - went back to the hotel for an hour and all the phlegm came right back and I started losing my voice again....

But Omaha as a town was pretty cool.  A few of the cast made it out to the Zoo - which was supposed to be one of the best - if not the best in the country.  The boys went with their tutor on a field trip and ended up spending 7 hours there - and still felt like the rushed through it.  Wish I could have gone - but am still trying to take it easy for now...  I did make it out to look around the Old Market area of town - which had a bunch of fun shops and restaurants - including some of the best sushi I've had in ages.  Blue Sushi Sake Grill - if you make it into Omaha - its a must.  Get the truffle oil soaked salmon and strawberries....

OH - and the big thing for me this week was...BUYING A MACBOOKPRO.  I finally made the switch to Apple from PC.  Though I did buy a Windows emulator so I can slowly transition my programs and whatnot - that'd be too expensive to try and to all at once.  I am loving it so far - though its going to take a while to get used to it.  There are just so many hidden things on this computer - and secret finger swipes that do special things on the mouse pad...defiantly not as user friendly in the learning how to use it dept.  But I have faith that within another week I'll be a pro lol.

We are getting ready to head into an interesting week - its all one nighters BUT - we only have five shows...and no matinees...and a day off in OKC and in Atlanta on our way to other cities...so should be fun :)

0 comments: