Thursday, November 21, 2013

11/19/2013-11/21/2013: Wichita, KS

Back in Kansas once again -- Back in Wichita once again.

This is my 3rd trip to Wichita actually.

I was first here with Gilligan's Island the Musical several years ago - and we stayed in this same hotel!  But we played a different venue- The Orpheum Theatre just down the way.  Then I was here with Curious George but we stayed just outside of town actually and played an Arena that was just about to close.  In fact, we were the last thing to play there before it was bulldozed (lol).

This time around we got to spend a few days here and I got to see a little more of the city, which was nice for a change.


First off, the hotel we stayed at was great - not only did they offer a free breakfast but also a free 'afternoon meal' - which became my dinner every day.  Nothing out of this world but free - and filling.  It was pretty chilly and dreary most of the time we were here but I did do some walking around.  One morning Mark and I walked over to the Keeper Of The Plains - which is a huge statue erected in dedication to the Plains Indians that used to live in the area and took a stroll throughout the surrounding parks.  Its very pretty.  Wichita has a very artsy side to it - and whenever a tree dies in the parks, a chainsaw artist comes out and turns the stump into art - mostly tree stump people.  They are spread all about the parks so its fun to walk along and try to find them.  There is also supposed to be a troll (art) that is handcuffed to a water pipe over by the old water plant - I read about him in RoadsideAmerica.com and was very excited to see him.  I mean how many times do you come across a troll in the park - sadly though, he is gone for repairs til March.  BUT walking around the downtown area that we stayed in was fun too.  No trolls - but there are these cool/somewhat creepy statues of people doing everyday things scattered all around the streets of downtown - as if someone had walked down the street turning people into statues as they went.  Weird but fun too.

Another day, Aaron and I went downy to Old Town and walked around the Museum of World Treasures.  Had a lot of 'typical' museum things with some special pieces like Shrunken Heads thrown in.  Was worth a quick tour.  While we were down there we stopped in Heroes Bar and Grill for lunch - and had a great burger.  Their signature ingredient is a candied pepper bacon - which is to die for.  And you can get it on almost anything.  If you're in town - I suggest hitting it up.

Other than that, everything was pretty standard - shows went very well.  It got MEGA cold by the end of our time here though and I was very sad that I hadn't packed my WINTER WINTER clothes and coat - but Cali is not far off so I'm holding onto that thought to keep me warm!

0 comments: